In this article, we will have a look at how to remove a volume from a volume group in PowerStore using Dell PowerStore Manager. Removing a volume from a volume group can affect future operations on that volume. All the things to consider before proceeding with this operation are described below in the Limitations section.
Restrictions of removing a volume from the volume group in Dell PowerStore
Be aware of some conditions that apply when removing volumes from volume groups. This has been sourced from the Dell Powerstore site as is.
- The volume retains the protection policy of the volume group from which it is removed.
- You cannot delete the volume that you removed from the volume group until all the volume group snapshots that were taken when the volume was a part of the group are either expired or deleted.
- When you remove a volume from a volume group that has a protection policy with a replication rule, the volume retains that policy but is not compliant until the volume group is synchronized with the destination.
- When the volume group is synchronized to the destination, the replication is modified to remove the volume from the destination volume group.
If you remove a volume from a volume group that has existing snapshots, you cannot use those volume group snapshots for a refresh or restore operations.
If you need to restore or refresh the volume group from a snapshot that was taken before the volume was removed, you must add the volume back to the volume group.
Restore and refresh operations require that the volume group membership match the membership that existed when the snapshot was taken.
Remove a Volume from Volume Group in PowerStore Using PowerStore Manager – Step by Step
- Under Storage, select Volume groups.
- On the Volume Groups page, click the name of the volume group from which you want to remove the volume.
- Click the Members tab, and then click the check box for the name of the volume that you want to remove.
- Click on the more options and click on Remove.
Please click on Remove again as shown below.
Summary view after the volume is removed from the volume group.