In this article, we will learn how to restore a file system from a snapshot in Dell PowerStore using PowerStore Manager. Before proceeding with this operation, we must ensure that the file system is offline to protect it from data corruption issues.
A restore operation reverts a parent resource dataset to a previous point-in-time when a snapshot was taken. Only snapshots directly taken of the resource can be used as the source for the restore operation.
NOTE: Restore from snapshot procedure restores storage resource/file system to a previous point in time. This may lead to data loss hence careful planning is required. If only a small subset of the storage resource needs to be restored. Then we can create a thin clone from the snapshot and copy the missing data from the thin clone to the concerned storage resource.
Restore a file system from a snapshot in Dell PowerStore: Step by Step
- Login to the PowerStore Manager
- Navigate to Storage >> File Systems
- Select the File System to restore
- Click on Protect
- Click on Restore from Snapshot
- In the slide-out panel, select the snapshot from which the file system will be restored.
- Select the backup snapshot option for the source volume being restored (default selection)
- Click Restore
Click Restore again
The file system successfully restored
NOTE: At this point, file system can be made available for production use after validating the data on it.